What Can Rhinoplasty Fix?
Rhinoplasty, commonly referred to as nose surgery can treat a variety of issues with the appearance and function of the nose. No two noses are alike and what one patient needs may not be what another needs, making this a unique and customizable procedure. So what exactly can nose surgery do? Continue reading to find out. Rhinoplasty can remedy problems with the proportion of the nose to create facial harmony. Here are some problem areas many patients seek to change:
- The arch or hump of the nose
- The width
- How far the nose projects from the face (how extreme your profile is)
- A bulbous tip of the nose (roundness)
- Too large or too small nostrils (in the event nostrils are too small, making them larger can assist with breathing)
- The angle of the tip of the nose (is the nose turned too far down, or too far up?)
- Drooping nose when smiling (this is caused by a muscle that is too strong that runs from the tip of your nose to the nasal septum, an internal incision remedies this drooping effect)
- Crooked noses (from trauma or birth)
Each problem requires a different surgical technique for correction. It is imperative patients select a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty for this procedure. The nose is arguably the most prominent facial feature, so it’s important to select a surgeon who can exercise precision and skill. Rhinoplasty not only has cosmetic benefits, but it can greatly improve upon difficulties with breathing for many patients. Noses that appear crooked on the outside are almost always crooked on the inside. Crooked noses obstruct the airway, so undergoing rhinoplasty can greatly impact how you breathe. Many patients worry about scarring, but in many cases, rhinoplasty can be performed as a closed procedure. This means that any incisions are on the inside of the nose and will not leave visible scars. In the event that the procedure requires an open surgery, the incision is placed on the skin under the nose between the nostrils, and is as inconspicuous as possible. Scars appear red to pink initially, but fade over time becoming virtually invisible. During recovery, patients can expect to have a splint and packing placed on and inside the nose to support the newly sculpted structure. Initial swelling will subside within a few weeks, and results will continue to improve throughout the healing process.
Rhinoplasty in Oklahoma City
For more information on rhinoplasty or other procedures we offer, contact us today to schedule your consultation. Dr. Sawan proudly serves Oklahoma City and the surrounding areas. We look forward to helping you achieve your ideal look!